Wednesday, June 4, 2014

A dust storm in Spain


This dust storm hit the city of Alicante on Spain's Mediterranean coast earlier this year.  It's an eerie spectacle.  Watch it in full-screen mode for the full effect.





I don't know whether the dust blew across from Africa, just south of Spain across the narrow neck of the Mediterranean Sea, or whether it came from a local desert.  The cloud almost reminds me of the 9/11 dust cloud after the Twin Towers fell, except that it's much smaller, of course.  Even so, it brought back memories - unhappy ones.

Peter

2 comments:

Timbo said...

Probably from Africa. I used to spend time on Mallorca and the dust storms from the south covered everything.

Jim22 said...

I don't think that is dust. It looks more like fog. Watch it dissipate as it passes the tall buildings and comes further ashore. I have seen the same phenomenon many times on the Mexican coast.