Saturday, July 6, 2013

Doofus Of The Day #711


Today's award goes to the US Department of Agriculture.  Magician Marty Hahne reports:

My USDA rabbit license requirement has taken another ridiculous twist. I just received an 8 page letter from the USDA, telling me that by July 29 I need to have in place a written disaster plan, detailing all the steps I would take to help get my rabbit through a disaster, such as a tornado, fire, flood, etc. They not only want to know how I will protect my rabbit during a disaster, but also what I will do after the disaster, to make sure my rabbit gets cared for properly.  I am not kidding–before the end of July I need to have this written rabbit disaster plan in place, or I am breaking the law.

There's more at the link, including a link to an Adobe Acrobat copy of the USDA's letter.

Bureaucrats!  Grrr!





Peter

11 comments:

dave said...

I suppose a recipe for hasenpfeffer wouldn't be considered a suitable plan, would it?

Anonymous said...

What about sacrificing the rabbit to appease the hurricane gods? Oh, and can a rabbit be used as an early warning detection system?

Retired Mustang said...

In 1980, around the time a family successfully fled East Germany in a balloon, I saw a political cartoon that depicted a balloon carrying people over the wall. A sign on the wall read "You are now happily staying put in the East German Worker's Paradise!" The salutation, "Dear Members of our Regulated Community" seems so similar.

Robert Fowler said...

I have a disaster plan, it includes gravy.

Old NFO said...

Truly over the top, and +1 on Robert :-D

HerrBGone said...

"... He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance. ..."

raven said...

He should switch to stand up comedy- this material is solid gold.

Gaffer said...

The goal seems to be well intention-ed...but the planning process is flawed. It seems to me that a prudent pet or livestock owner would want to have a plan in case of disaster but an over the top "order" is not the way to meet the goal.

Anonymous said...

Disaster Plan: Make the rabbit disappear.

Gerry

MSgt B said...

In the event of a tornado, all rabbits must be fitted with a pair of shiny red slippers...

Stu Garfath. Sydney, Australia. said...

This is SO good,..where do I start.
Could this be titled The (Elmer) Fudd Directive?.

How about, A newspaper banner headline by the Editor, Elmer Fudd.
"Wequired Wabbit Welfare Wules " decreed by USDA.
Sowwy, that wone was tewwible, HaHaHa..